1. EggsWe source our eggs from a Certified Disease Free egg supplier in Washington state with a long history of exceptional genetics tracing back to wild ancestors. Our state-of-the-art incubators ensure optimum conditions for the eggs, giving them the best chance to thrive.
2. NurseryOnce hatched, our fry move into tanks, where they are fed for the first time. In the nursery, our fish grow from tiny egg to 35 g (1.23 oz) quickly due to highly nutritious feed and meticulous care by specially trained nursery technicians.
3. FeedWe believe that human nutrition begins with the feed that our fish eat. Working closely with our BAP certified feed supplier, we strive to ensure our fish are fed a wholesome diet free from antibiotics, hormones, and nonnutritive fillers. That means there is never any feather-meal, corn, or soy in our feed. We source fish meal and fish oil from responsibly managed fisheries and use the all-natural antioxidant (astaxanthin) which also gives wild salmon its wonderful red color.
4. SmoltOnce the fish get big enough, they move into the Smolt system. Here, the fish lose the ‘parr marks’ characteristic of younger fish and feed voraciously on our custom high-quality diet. Water quality, fish growth, and fish behavior are monitored carefully by aquaculture technicians. Fish in this system grow to around 800g (1.8lbs).
5. Grow-OutFrom the Smolt system, the fish are transferred into our Grow-Out system, where they will remain until they are deemed ready to harvest at a target weight of 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs). Our fish finish their growth in this system and are tested regularly for product quality assurance (color, taste, texture, etc.).
6. Humane HarvestingWe’re proud to take fish welfare seriously. For our harvests we use an innovative electrostunning system. The fish quickly lose consciousness before they are dispatched, meaning no suffering for the fish and better fillet quality for the consumer.
7. ProcessingSoon after harvest, our team processes all the fish right on-site. Whole fish are cleaned and gutted. Fresh fillets are deboned, portioned and vacuum-packed. Our unique location allows us to get fresh fish from tank to table within hours of harvest in NY and the Northeast area, and within 24 hours of shipping in the rest of the country.
8. DeliveryYour order is packed in an insulated box with cooling gel packs and delivered within 24 hours of shipping via UPS to maintain product freshness. All fresh product contains a temperature indicator to ensure no temperature breach occurred during transit.
9. CookingOur Steelhead trout is easy to cook, packed with healthy Omega-3s and delicious in a variety of ways. Leaner and with a less fishy taste than salmon, you can enjoy it seared, grilled, roasted or cured!