By Gael Towey
Cook Time: 48 hours
Serves: 2-4 people
(1) 1lb skin-on, steelhead fillet
6 Tbsp of gin
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of kosher salt
1 bay leaf
Toasted fennel seeds
1. Place the 1 lb steelhead fillet in a ziplock bag and add 6 Tbsp of gin.
2. Zest one orange, one lemon, and one lime.
3. Juice half an orange.
4. Toast fennel seeds.
5. Crumble bay leaf and fresh thyme.
6. Rub the citrus zest, orange juice, toasted fennel seeds, bay leaf, thyme, sugar & salt gently onto fresh fillet and close ziplock bag.
7. Place ziplock bag inside fridge with a brick or heavy cast iron pan.
8. Let fish cure for 48 hours, then brush off the salt and sugar with your fingers.
9. Serve in thin slices and enjoy!