By Gael Towey
Cook Time: 48 hours
Serves: 2-4 people
- (1) 1lb skin-on, steelhead fillet
- 6 Tbsp of gin
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh thyme
- Toasted fennel seeds
- Place the 1 lb steelhead fillet in a ziplock bag and add 6 Tbsp of gin.
- Zest one orange, one lemon, and one lime.
- Juice half an orange.
- Toast fennel seeds.
- Crumble bay leaf and fresh thyme.
- Rub the citrus zest, orange juice, toasted fennel seeds, bay leaf, thyme, sugar & salt gently onto fresh fillet and close ziplock bag.
- Place ziplock bag inside fridge with a brick or heavy cast iron pan.
- Let fish cure for 48 hours, then brush off the salt and sugar with your fingers.
- Serve in thin slices and enjoy!